MotoDreamer Introduction to 4WD Tours in Colombia and beyond. If you can’t go adventuring on two wheels, we say do it on four wheels! And if they’re the kind of wheels that eat dirt, mud, and sand for breakfast, all the better!
|Estimated Reading Time: 9 minutes|
Did you know if you cannot or do not want to ride a motorcycle in Colombia then you can opt for a 4WD magical and adventurous family tour instead!
Why not take the whole family on an awesome tour of all that is beautiful in Colombia?
In this article, we will introduce MotoDreamer´s unique 4WD Tour options with your family at the forefront of our minds. We will explain the various alternatives to a 4WD.
1. Traveling by Bus.
2. Traveling by private vehicle.
3. Mountains, Coasts, and Jungles.
4. 10 Day Caribbean Desert 4WD Tour.
5. 10 Day Amazon Jungle 4WD Tour.
6, 10 Day Andean Mountain 4WD Tour.
Now You Can Explore the Most Beautiful Parts of Colombia with a MotoDreamer Introduction to 4WD Tours.
MotoDreamer started as an adventure motorcycle tour and rental company to help introduce motorcyclists to the beauty of Colombia. In particular, it’s off-the-beaten-track destinations.
We’re talking about the sorts of places where busloads of tourists rarely venture. Not because they’re not worthy of outside attention, but quite often because they’re not so easy to reach by conventional means.
But with the right set of wheels, entire parts of the country suddenly are unlocked, making so much more of the land free to be explored.
But what if you can’t, or don’t want to ride through Colombia on a motorbike?
We’ve felt anyone with an adventurous spirit and a desire to see the “other” side of Colombia should still have the opportunity to visit some of these fantastic but challenging to get to destinations.
So, in the spirit of encouraging more intrepid souls to see Colombia beyond the “Gringo Trail.” The team at MotoDreamer has put together a series of 4WD guided expeditions.
The idea of MotoDreamer Introduction to 4WD Tours was born.
Join a MotoDreamer guided 4×4 tour. Leave the driving to the experts, and see the best of “hidden” Colombia. All without having to worry about getting lost or the joys of roadside “makeshift mechanic king.”
Colombia is an adventure traveler’s paradise, and if you can’t go adventuring on two wheels, we say do it on four wheels!
Furthermore, if they’re the kind of wheels that eat dirt, mud, and sand for breakfast, all the better!
MotoDreamer Introduction 4WD Tours in Colombia – Why are they Awesome?
Colombia is a country of wild, empty coastlines, remote deserts, immense mountain ranges, and vast tracts of uninhabited montane forest and jungle. The sheer number of different ecosystems and wildly varying landscapes all connected with one densely concentrated patchwork.
This patchwork makes Colombia one of the most biodiverse countries on earth.
It’s a country in which long-distance travel is enriching. Indeed, it’s possible to travel throughout much of Colombia without your own transport with some planning. When it comes to overland travel, your main options are:
Traveling in Colombia by bus
The majority of visitors to Colombia make use of the country’s network of public buses. They use them to travel long distances between locations, and there’s a lot to be said for that. They’re a cheap, comfortable, and easy method for visiting just about all of Colombia’s major cities and popular attractions.
However, bus travel is frequently slow in Colombia. The humble autobus isn’t built for speed and agility on those twisty mountain roads (i.e., Colombia’s main highways.)
Then there are the inevitable traffic jams, endless passenger pick-ups, and numerous roadside pit stops. Nearly always in the most uninspiring places imaginable.
Long-distance travel by bus takes time, sometimes much more than the timetable/guidebook advises. There are some places an ostensible city and highway only vehicle simply can’t venture.
Traveling by private vehicle in Colombia
Traveling in a private vehicle shortens those huge distances considerably, allowing you to see so much more in a shorter space of time.
For those unwilling to rent and a vehicle drive themselves. This is understandable, given the challenging and unfamiliar conditions the first-time traveler to Colombia would find themselves up against. So, one option is to hire a private car and driver.
However, for long distances, this is prohibitively expensive for most travelers. Traveling in a small group can make journeying by private vehicle considerably more affordable.
Touring in a 4WD isn’t a necessity in Colombia. All the major highways are sealed and well-maintained. As are roads through the cities and many secondary roads throughout much of the country.
But some of the most spectacular places in Colombia simply can’t be accessed or fully appreciated by conventional vehicles.
Reaching natural wonders like the incredible ‘rainbow river’ Caño Cristales, the cloud forests near Florencia, and the dunes of Guajira desert without your own transport would mean navigating a series of planes, buses, or taxi journeys. Not forgetting, all before making the rest of your way there on foot.
Instead, you could go the fastest way, which also happens, by far to be the most fun way! Overland, off-road in a mighty, mountain conquering MotoDreamer 4WD!
Mountains, Coasts, and Jungles – Choose Your Own Adventure with MotoDreamer Introduction to 4WD Tours in Colombia.
To date, MotoDreamer has launched three separate, 10 guided 4WD tours. All of them cover unique parts of Colombia.
- Every tour includes an expert guide-driver per truck.
- All road-related expenses and accommodation are included.
- Each truck takes a maximum of three passengers.
- All trucks are all-terrain vehicles with air-conditioning.
Trust us; this is as comfortable as off-roading in Colombia gets! Check out the 4WD Tour page for detailed information, including full itineraries. Here’s a brief summary of what’s on offer.
MotoDreamer 10 Day Caribbean Desert Introduction to 4WD Tour
From the colorful colonial city of Cartagena, this tour takes you out of the hustle and bustle of the tropical tourist town. It leads you to some of the wildest coastlines in the entire Caribbean.
Marvel at the surreal landscape of barren deserts, orange sandhills, and turquoise coves. Take in the vivid blue ocean as it begins to open around you.
- Not far from town, the real fun begins, as we spend around 70% of our drive-time off-road!
- Imagine driving for hours without so much as a building in sight. Witness empty beaches, crashing waves, arid deserts, and hundreds of bird species. Birds such as the pink flamingos of Punta Gallinas.
- We cross La Guajira with the blessing of the Wayuu people. This is their land. We’ll attempt to learn a little about their culture and history while visiting some local communities.
- Guajira is famous for its massive coastal sand dunes. Drive to the top or test your stamina, trudging up the crests. Experience sensational views of the ocean and its otherworldly desert surroundings.
- Experience epic 4×4 beach driving. Sample fresh lobster dinners. Tackle the Caribbean waves on a kitesurf and sleep in hammocks under a pristine star-studded sky.
MotoDreamer 10 Day Amazon Jungle Introduction to 4WD Tour
This adventure tour focuses on the rarely visited south-central and eastern parts of Colombia, where the Andes meet the Amazon rainforest.
- We are starting with the handsome “White City” of Popayan and the mysterious ancient statues of San Agustin Archaeological Park. We’ll traverse magnificent mountain roads descending into the lowlands and the heart of the Colombian wilderness.
- Go for a rambling drive along jungle roads through the mist-shrouded cloud forests near Florencia.
- From La Macarena, we do a trek on foot around the river banks and through the forest surrounding Caño Cristales. Bursting with vibrant reds, pinks, yellows, oranges, and greens. The abundance of blooming aquatic flowers causes these colors. The locals sometimes refer to this natural wonder of the world as the River of the Gods.
- From the steamy jungles of La Macarena, we’ll experience an incredible transformation in the scenery as we enter the Tatacoa Desert. It is here we’ll spend a night glamping beneath the stars.
- We’ll overnight in Colombia’s famous zona cafeteria after driving from the desert to the Andean foothills. It is home to giant wax palms and sprawling coffee plantations.
MotoDreamer 10 Day Andean Mountain Introduction to 4WD Tour
We’ve built a little more comfort into this luxury tour of Colombia’s scenic Andean region. By crisscrossing the smooth, paved highways between some of the most enchanting Colonial villages in the country. With just a few minor sections of dirt to navigate.
This trip is perfect for folks who want to get off the tourist trail. The same people who wish to experience the authentic, rural side of Colombia without sacrificing comfort.
- Take a guided stroll through a working coffee plantation. Follow up a soak in the waterfall pools of the gorgeous hot springs of Santa Rosa de Cabal. Then, tour the bizarre former ranch of Pablo Escobar. Finally, explore Jardin, one of the most beautiful towns in the coffee region.
- You’ll sleep soundly in the best hotels every night. But the highlight of this tour is undoubtedly the jaw-dropping scenery that awaits around every turn. If the weather is clear, you may even see all the way to the summit of the active volcano Nevado del Ruiz. Soaring to 5,311m above sea level, this fearsome Andean giant is one of the highest peaks in Colombia.
Written by: Fiona Davies (extreme pillion rider and adventure travel writer)
Edited for SEO optimization by Mike Bowley at www.mikedbowley.com
In conclusion to this article titled MotoDreamer´s Introduction to 4WD Tours in Colombia. You now know it’s all available to you and your family. Each of you carries memories that will last a lifetime. Just imagine how many “Around the campfire” stories you will be sharing with the other members of your family, all your friends, and neighbors.
Why not pass around these new articles so everyone can be knowledgeable of what Colombia is REALLY all about.
Colombia’s Biodiversity goes hand in hand.
Colombia & Biodiversity goes hand in hand. This magical country is listed as one of the world’s “megadiverse” countries. Does the thought of being up close to megadiversity, never mind biodiversity on your touring motorbike, set your juices flowing? Let’s see why.
MotoDreamer Supporting Local Businesses in Colombia
MotoDreamer Supporting Local Businesses in Colombia has always been on Mike and Diana´s radar since the beginning. Motolombia (renamed MotoDreamer in 2020) began when the Colombian tourism industry was still in its infancy – opening a business relying heavily on overseas tourist dollars was a big gamble.
A brief history of Colombia for all you Motorcycling Adventure Touring Riders. We thought it a perfect backdrop to many MotoDreamer tours. It is for History Buffs who just happen to love touring on their Adventure-Touring Motorcycles.